Wim van Saarloos
This webpage contains information on my activities as a faculty member at the Instituut-Lorentz in the physics department (LION) of Universiteit Leiden. During the period November 1 2009 till December 31 2016 I worked for FOM and NWO. Since January 1 2017 I have been back at the Institute Lorentz, since July 2021 as professor emeritus. From June 2018 till June 2020 I combined this position with that of president of the Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences KNAW.
Research activities and highlights
Specials in Dutch
- Physica Lezing 2008: Jamming ideeën worden volwassen
- Interview in NTvN over Sectorplan Natuur- en Sterrenkunde
- Wetenschap in Nederland - Waar een klein land groot in is en moet blijven, essay on the Dutch science system by J. van Dijck en W. van Saarloos, (2017). An English version is available as The Dutch Polder Model in Science and Research.
- Meer Wetenschap in Nederland - Hoe we onze samenwerking, diversiteit en kracht verder kunnen versterken, by W. van Saarloos (2020). Essay at the occasion of stepping down as president of the academy.
Courses, classes and book
- From 2017 till 2021, I have been teaching Soft- and Biomatter Theory in the fall semester
- The above course inspired me to write a book Soft Matter - Concepts, Phenomena and Applications, together with Vincenzo Vitelli and Zorana Zeravcic. The book is expected to be published at the end of 2022 by Princeton University Press
- Pattern Formation and Dynamics in Nonequilibrium Systems, spring 2003 
Doing a PhD or postdoc at the Instituut-Lorentz